Friday, May 16, 2008

flying up

I was one of those "fortunate" mothers who was roped into volunteer work unknowingly. It was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything though. I've been able to work with a wonderful group of girls who are eager to learn and try new things. Here is a list of our accomplishments in our 3 years of Brownies:
* Events: sleepover, fire station, roller skating, swimming, bowling, makeovers at Libby Lu, Spurs game, Missions game, Red Robin, Applebee’s, Cold Stone Creamery, Cici’s Pizza, Seguin Outdoor Learning Center, Memorial Day Flag Placement at Fort Sam Houston Cemetery, Book Fairy, baby showers, Thinking day, Woods Day in the Woods, camping at TexLake (freezing temperatures), camping at Lockhart (creepy spiders), camping at La Jita (with the teen troop)
* Try-Its: Animals, Caring and Sharing, Colors and Shapes, Cookies Count, Dancercize, Eco-Explorer, Friends Are Fun, Girl Scout Ways, Girl Sports, Let's Pretend, Manners, Math Fun, My Body, Numbers and Shapes, People Are Talking, Playing Around the World, Ready, Set, Go Camping, Science in Action, Science Wonders, Water Everywhere
* Service Projects: Christmas gifts for Medina Children’s Home, Mother’s Day cards for Meals on Wheels, Thanksgiving placemats for Jiminez Thanksgiving Dinner and Meals on Wheels, cookies for Veteran’s Day celebration, cookies to children’s shelter and our military
* Product Sales: 7289 boxes of cookies and 612 cans of nuts

It's tradition for Girl Scouts to "fly-up" to the next level when they bridge from Brownies to Juniors. The girls decided to do their ceremony outside, so instead of doing something with wings, we chose to release balloons. Also, as part of our ceremony, we welcomed several new girls, including Anna, into scouts as Daisies. I chose green balloons for the new Juniors, blue balloons for the new Daisies, and red balloons for the other brothers and sisters. We released all the balloons at once - it was a colorful site!

I have now officially passed the leadership of the troop over, and will be starting over with Anna's troop in the fall. I didn't think it would be emotional, I did think it would be a relief. As I read the list of accomplishments above to the families that night, I couldn't help but get a little choked up. I just hope that I've made as much of an impression on those girls that they've left on me!














3 comments:

Stacey said...

I got choked up just reading it! Congratulations and good luck next year!

Jill said...

it does make me tear up to think that these kids are growing up so fast. how great that you get to be a part of these memories! (kind of makes me want to do the same when my time comes...but i'm not sure i could handle the camping!!)

Random Trails said...

Super Scouts! Add them to the family lore...