Thursday, January 28, 2010

skirting the issue

Bethany is almost 4.

Bethany is all girl, but not too prissy.

Bethany loves to wear skirts and dresses.

I've tried to convince her that she can wear some of her dresses with blue jeans underneath. She didn't go for it. She doesn't even like to wear stretchpants or leggings underneath. Tights don't bother her so much, fortunately.

Bethany's closet consists mostly of hand-me-downs. With two big sisters, plus several thoughtful friends, she definitely has an abundant wardrobe. Ask me how much of it she'll wear... let's say less than half. When Katie and Anna were that age, I never let them wear dresses to school. It was always pants and tennis shoes. Since they've been passed down, and she's at the bottom of the chain, I've let her have a little bit more flexibility.

Yes, I realize at this point, I should post some adorable pictures of her wearing said dresses. If you've been following our blog, you'll know that I've been slacking in the post area. I have now made the decision that it's more important to get the thoughts down than worry about whether or not the pictures are attached. I'm hoping to get back on the bandwagon soon!

Back to the story... because she is so passionate about her wardrobe choices, I've been able to use it as a bartering tool. "if you pick up your toys, I'll let you wear a skirt to school." "if you stay in bed and take a nap, I'll let you wear a skirt tomorrow." You get the idea. It has worked better than anything else I've tried.

Bethany's birthday is in a few weeks. Looks like we'll be shopping for skirts!

1 comment:

Jill said...

scarlett is the same way but it's usually with dresses. when i tell her that she needs to wear jeans/leggings underneath she will say, "well can i take them off at home? it's ok if my family sees my panties, right?" haha :)