Tuesday, January 26, 2010

subbing

I unpurposely discovered last year how easy it would be to do some part-time substitute teaching at the girls elementary school. Unfortunately, the school district was not accepting applications for new subs at the time, so I had to wait. I went through all the paperwork and training over the summer, and started working back in October. I've only made myself available on the days when Bethany is in preschool, so I'm still filling this last few years of having her at home with plenty of mommy time. Because Katie has been at the school for 4+ years now, and I did quite a bit of volunteering for Anna's class last year, I've gotten really familiar with all the in's and out's of how the school operates. There is really a wonderful network of families - friends - classmates - teachers - siblings - etc. that have made it easy to get my name out there. I have been able to work about once a week, and have to turn away as many jobs as I accept because of scheduling conflicts.
I also have to mention the wonderful support of friends who have helped us out as we've adjusted to a different schedule. Bethany's preschool day is 9-2. A full-day sub job is 7:30-3. That leaves a clump of time that she gets juggled. Shayne is fortunate enough to have the option to work from home sometimes, and that has helped a lot. And I know he's enjoyed being a little more tuned-in to her life too.
I have enjoyed being up at the school more, just so I can be close to Katie and Anna. No, I do not think I would qualify as a helicopter. It's just nice to be near - I love the spontaneous smiles, hugs and kisses in the hallway or cafeteria. It's enabled me to connect on a different level with their teachers as well. I truly believe that having that open line of communication between teachers and parents is a HUGE part of a child's success in school.
Bethany has another full year of preschool, then she'll be able to join us. Of course, by that point, Katie will be in middle school. I'll be able to work 3-4 days per week. Shayne already has those paychecks worked into the budget. For now, I've got my foot in the door, and it gives us a little fun money.

No comments: