Tuesday, March 31, 2009

mckinney falls

We discovered a really nice state park, not too far frome home. It's located practically within the suburbs of southeast Austin, but it feels totally remote once you're there. There was flowing water, nice hiking, and great weather. A little too chilly to get in the water, but there was plenty else to keep us busy.

Because this park actually backs up to the TPWD HQ, they offer a lot of activities that we haven't seen at other parks - guided hikes, nature talks, arts & crafts, history lessons, etc. I took the girls to an after-dark class on spider sniffing at the amphitheatre. I'd heard about this phenomenon before, but never been successful at it myself.

We were also able to spend a few hours with Shayne's brother and family. Blake, Sarah, and baby Greyson live on the north side of Austin, and drove down to hang out for awhile. The girls loved playing with their cousin, but I think he was probably a bit overwhelmed by their attention.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my last post, I am camera-less. I dropped my digital in the parking lot at the bike rodeo, and now it doesn't work. I am now relying on my camera phone (temporarily), which is not that great. Thank goodness most of our activites occur when friends are around. I'll have to get copies from anybody who has pictures of my kids. :)

No comments: