Monday, August 23, 2010

back to business!

this summer was busy. fun, but busy. it also went by very quickly. can't believe it's over. now here we go, tumbling head first into another school year !

first on the list: elementary school

Anna is in 2nd grade and super excited. I love that she is so enthusiastic about school. She loves being with her friends. She loves reading. She loves art. I'm anxious to see what she does with her newest skill: organization!

She squealed several times this morning in the car on the way to school. Ear piercing squeals. Squeals of excitement. Any butterflies she had in her tummy were not nerves, just pure excitement!

The drop-off process was going smoothly. This is our family's 6th year at this school, so we've gotten the routine down pat. Anna has a teacher this year that Katie had 4 years ago. I was feeling confident. Then... I passed one of the staff in the hallway... her comment was "only one this year?" (referring to the fact that Katie had moved on.)... well, that was my breaking point. I'm glad I was walking a step behind Shayne and Anna because I lost it for a minute.

Anna got off the bus with a skip in her step. I said "how was your day?". She said "I loved it!" I still have to pry for details... my questions alwaysstart with "did you make any new friends", "who did you play with at recess?, "who did you sit next to at lunch?" I want to know who my kids are spending time with!

next on the list: middle school (yikes!)

Yes... big changes in the West house. We've entered a new frontier. But we've entered with eager anticipation. She's excited, so we're excited for her. For the past several weeks, (more like months) she's been known to spontaneously burst out "I'm going to middle school". Don't stand to close, you might get hit with a flailing arm!

She spent a half-day at the school last week running through all the drills - classes, teachers, lockers, cafeteria. She hit the ground running this morning. I've been very pleased to see how they ease the 6th graders into the school. Here is her line-up: GT English, Advanced Contemporary Literacy, Phys Ed, Theatre Arts, Pre AP Math, Social Studies, AIM/Model UN, and Science. She's pleased with all of her teachers so far (has her faves picked out). She has her folders and notebooks labeled and her textbooks covered.

It was a little nerve-wrecking this morning waiting for the bus. It was 25 minutes late! I think she enjoyed hanging out at the bus stop with her girlfriends though. The bus was only a few minutes behind on the trip home. She made it very clear that she didn't want any family waiting for her at the bus stop. The sisters and I hung out halfway up the street. She was very happy to see us. (or maybe she was just happy to get off the bus - no A/C, 100+ degrees!)

She reported a smooth day. The gliches in the schedule were nobody's fault, just the school needing to iron out all the kinks. They report to advisory closes at the beginning and ending of each day just for this week, so the rest of the day is on an alternate schedule. She'll get the hang of it.

It was a great first day of school and it's going to be a great year!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

so hard to believe! they keep doing that growing thing!