Wednesday, April 28, 2010

week in review - edition 2

here we go again...

last Monday, I went to school with Bethany. they asked me to sub because the older class was going on a field trip and they needed an extra hand at the school. I helped with crayon rubbings, ran the potty patrol, and counted to ten in French for the penny path. it was fun, but it wore me out. no rest for the weary! my Daisy Girl Scouts needed their fearless leader to guide them through another meeting. we are working on our 'Bridging to Brownies' program. only 2 meetings left this year!

Tuesday started with another wonderful lesson in ladies class. then my girlfriend dragged me to the craft store and forced me to look at scrapbook stuff. after school, I took Katie to the middle school to try out some band instruments. she has selected theater arts as her fine arts elective, but just in case she doesn't get in, I want her to be excited about her second choice. she was asked to choose 3 instruments to try (and more, if she liked). her selections included tuba, bassoon and percussion. she also tried the tuba. she tested really well on each of them, but decided to go with bassoon. because it is not one of the popular instruments, she was guaranteed a spot. AND, if she sticks with it throughout her secondary school career, she has a pretty good chance at a music scholarship because colleges are always looking for good bassoon players. who would have thought...

Wednesday - field trip! oh, may aching feet. (oops, I'm not supposed to say that yet). I was fortunate enough to be able to accompany Anna's class on a day trip to Sea World. it was not an open to the public day, but there were a gazillion 1st graders there. Anna's teachers had enough volunteers that we each pretty much spent the day with our own kiddo. we spent most of the day with another mother/daughter from our GS troop. the rides and entertainment were not running since it was just an educational day, but we saw most of the animals. Anna's fave was the Shamu show. It was a lot of walking, hence the achey feet. I drove several parents in my car and we stopped at McD's on the way out for cold drinks. I dropped them all back at the school, then went to my friends house to pick up Bethany (thanks Lisa!). We pulled into the driveway about 5 minutes behind my cousin Greg, and 5 minutes before the girls got off the bus. Greg had been on a road trip from Virginia to the Grand Canyon, and was on his way to Florida, via motorcycle. We took him to eat at Alamo Cafe and then dropped Katie off so she could get set up for her orchestra concert. We were all supposed to go, but everyone was was worn out, so ended up trekking back for the show by myself. (Bethany, by the way, had laid down for a nap around 3:30 p.m., not to wak up until 7:30 a.m. the next morning.) The show was great, although I'm not sure why they try to cram so many schools into one night. It was packed. I was actually glad that I didn't have the sisters with me. It would have been uncomfortable for everyone. by the way, now my feet were really aching!

Thursday morning, one of Bethany's friends came over bright and early because her mom had a doctor's appointment. Before I delivered them to school, we sent Greg on his way. I did my parent volunteer work at the school, then came home to prep for my weekend getaway. What?!? I didn't tell you? scrapbook retreat. no kids, no hubby. a bed all to myself. no meals to prepare or dishes to wash. I prepared a fancy dinner for Shayne and the kids (nachos!) and I was on my way.

Friday :)

Saturday :)

Sunday I was actually ready to return home. What do I love about being gone? My kids are so excited to see me when I get home! They had done a little traveling themselves, so the house was not in too much disrepair. A B-I-G thanks to Shayne for giving me the time-off!

No comments: