Saturday, February 21, 2009

truly scrumptious

Through the world of Girl Scouting, we have the opportunity to obtain discounted tickets to numerous events and activities. While browsing the Program Guide last fall, I discovered they were offering a group discount to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (with Broadway Across America). Katie loves the movie, Anna likes most of it (except the part with the Child Catcher), and Bethany enjoys it (but is still working on her ability to sit through a 3 hour movie). When I saw it on the page, I knew I had to make it happen! I made some calls, gathered some friends, and we received the tickets in our stockings on Christmas morning.

The other two moms that went in on the group deal with us both had the same reaction I did… "I loved that movie when I was a kid, and my kids enjoy watching it too!" It was fun to see the girls, all dressed up, with their friends, at the theater. It was at the Majestic, an historic theater where the symphony usually plays. The whole outing was an experience to remember. The song and dance numbers were fabulous, and the actors all played their parts well – Dick Van Dyke leaves pretty big shoes to fill. The young actors that played Jeremy and Jemima were about Katie's age. The scary part with the Child Catcher wasn't too scary, but Anna hid her eyes anyway. And when they made the car fly and sang the theme song, I got goosebumps and almost cried!

I love the fact that my kids love to watch old movies. We usually opt for these selections when we're travelling for extended periods of time in the van. We have plenty of modern flicks in our repertoire, but they just don't make 'em like they used too. Not only to they enjoy the children's classics, like Mary Poppins and the Wizard of Oz, they've also taken a liking to shows like My Fair Lady and Singin' in the Rain. Of course, the musicals numbers are an obvious draw. Shayne's request for family travel is usually the Apple Dumpling Gang. We also have discovered that many of the movies that are re-makes of today were better in their original showing, like the Parent Trap and Yours, Mine and Ours.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

start praying for me....i am about to initiate a gs troop! and possibly help organize several more at our school.

i was feeling bored! ha ha!

i may need your email so i can beg for tips!