Wednesday, October 1, 2008

back to school... 6 weeks later

So if I was getting graded on my blogging, I'd probably have to ask for an "I" (incomplete), or else y'all might give me an "F" (failure)... fortunately, my kids are doing much (much, much) better than that... wait a minute, I'm behind on this because I've been helping them with that, right? I give myself an "A" in justification!

Here they are... our two elementary students, Katie entering 4th and Anna entering Kinder... both excited, yet slightly apprehensive - Katie, not having any of her friends in her class; Anna, new school, new teacher, new friends, new routines...
We did encounter a bit of drama at the beginning of the year... first, let me say that we got the thumbs up on Katie's teacher because she had relocated from another school where Katie's friend had her the previous year... now, we also heard wonderful things about the teacher Anna was assigned to - problems arising - she was set to retire at the end of September - WHAT! why would a teacher even start the year only to leave 4 weeks into it? especially in Kindergarten, where the child's foundation is so crucial! Needless to say, Shayne and I were a little concerned (and some tears were shed) - we had the opportunity to visit with the principal before classes started and she was extremely positive and reassuring about the situation - as we had done every year Katie had been in school, we left it in God's hands... Anna is now under the instruction of a wonderful teacher (who also came with high commendations from a friend) and we are sure she's going to have a great year!

We met with each of their teachers this week for conferences. We've never been totally surprised, but always relieved, to get incredible feedback. I've always said it's o.k. if the kids act up a little at home, as long as they behave when they're anywhere else! It certainly holds true... (put on your bragging blinders - this is for the grandparents) we've had teachers say they want their young children to grow up to be like our girls, they've both been described as leaders and favorites (shhh!), and (like we didn't already know) they're both very smart! :)

Our sweet little Bethany also started school this year... preschool that is. She's been ready for awhile, as she was with me for the past three years taking Anna to the same preschool. She walked right in the first day and didn't even look back. She hasn't bitten anyone (hallelejuh!), and I believe she is one of the more vocal children in the class. Earlier this week, she had to do some time-out because she forgot to use her nice hands. We talk alot about using our words and asking a grown-up for help. When I was discussing it with her afterwards, her response was "but they were bothering me!" Hmmm... does that sound like a big sister quote or what? explanation of the pictures: top left - showing the contents of her lunchbox; bottom right - she currently has a fascination with armpits - amidst the other poses, she chose to add these herself

2 comments:

Chera said...

I guess we can let you "slide" with an A+ for justification...as long as you update us every now and then! ;o) It looks like your girls have had a good 6 weeks...hard to believe it's almost over, isn't it?! Here's to a good 2nd 6 weeks coming up!!

Stacey said...

look at all that girl cuteness!