Wednesday, April 30, 2008

happy and sad

these two things don't really have anything to do with each other... they've just both been on my mind

Last friday, Bethany and I went to dinner with my mom and her friend Susan. As we were leaving, there was a young lady pushing a young man in a wheelchair up to the door. At second glance, we noticed the man's leg was elevated and he was missing a foot, and whatever had caused the loss had recently happened because it was freshly bandaged. It was also pretty obvious this young man was a soldier because of his haircut. Mom and I both had to keep from gasping, then smiled as we walked past him out the door. Susan, however, went straight up to him and thanked him and asked what had happened. I felt like a dope - how come I've never thought of that before? I always tell my kids not to stare (as I was probably told), but I've never thought about walking up to someone and just saying "thank you" or "what happened?". Susan has a military background, so it probably was a natural repsonse to her, and I admire her for that. Next time, I hope I act differently. THANK YOU to all those who have made sacrifices for our country.


On a more selfish note (especially after that story), I did something the other day that I hadn't done in years. Katie was at school, Anna was at preschool, and Bethany was at a friend's house for the morning. I had been running errands and my last stop was Wal-Mart. There's a fairly new strip center in front of the store, and within that shopping area, there is a Massage Heights clinic. On a whim, I drove up and saw the sign in the window that read "$39.99 introductory offer". As I'm talking to myself (do it,don't do it, do it, don't do it), I realized that I wouldn't have another opportunity like this for awhile. I popped my head in and asked if they took walk-ins... she answered yes.
It was a wonderful, much needed one hour retreat that I'm ever grateful for. I especially appreciate my husband not sounding to taken back about the expense. I deemed it an early Mother's Day gift.
I highly recommend all you other moms go do something like this, especially if you haven't in a while (or maybe never). If you're husband questions it, you can blame it on me!
YEAH for moms!

3 comments:

Jill said...

just getting a chance to catch up. the branch ranch looks like so much fun, and minus the giant REPTILE, i would have enjoyed the camping, too. scarlett has been wanting to do a camp out lately.
as far as the massage goes...good for you!!

Stacey said...

i am so glad you pampered yourself!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Shannon~
I am glad you pampered yourself! You deserve it, girl, because you are one of the most unselfish people I know.

I have seen so many of those young soldiers here in town that I know are probably on their way to BAMC for rehab and recovery and I cry everytime. It is a very shocking and sad reminder that we are at war and people do get hurt and die. I am thankful for them and so thankful when I see the really old veterans out and about who served in WWII and are almost a lost generation...Thanks for the reminder.

Love,
Lisa